National Opioid Crisis Expert, Dynamic Speaker And Author, Dr. John Rosa Calls For Greater Awareness Of And Attention To The Growing Problem Of Mental Health And Addiction.
Dr. John P. , opioid crisis expert, author, and dynamic speaker, reveals information about the growth of mental health and addiction issues that were bad pre-pandemic and have grown exponentially throughout the duration of the pandemic showing no signs of stopping..
ROCKVILLE, MD. February 13, 2023: Dr. John Rosa, dynamic speaker, national opioid crises expert, and co-author of The Recipe for Success with Jack Canfield, posted a new blog on his website entitled “The Growing Problem Of Mental Health Problems And Addiction,” in which Dr. Rosa acknowledges that “The repercussion of this societal unrest is going to be a tsunami of addiction and suicide rates like we have not seen to date.”
Dr. Rosa writes, “The World Health Organization (WHO) recently published information on their website stating, “In a survey from June 2020, 13% of adults reported new or increased substance use due to coronavirus-related stress, and 11% of adults reported thoughts of suicide in the past 30 days. Suicide rates have long been on the rise and may worsen due to the pandemic.” He continues, “Additional research indicates that, ‘43% of people in substance use disorder (SUD) treatment for nonmedical use of prescription painkillers have a diagnosis or symptoms of mental health disorders, particularly depression and anxiety.’” In fact,” Dr. Rosa notes, “the National Institute on Drug Abuse provides data that shows approximately one in four people with a serious mental illness also has a substance use disorder. Serious Mental Illnesses include schizophrenia, major depressive disorder, and bipolar disorder”
“I can assure you,” Dr. Rosa emphasizes, “that while the numbers I quoted above are based on polls and statistics, the reality from someone with boots on the ground is that any addiction has a mental health issue intertwined.” He elaborates, “The mental health issue can be present before, occur during, and will always be around after, addiction takes its hold. The myth that “1 in 5 have anxiety or depression” needs to go away because the fact is that 5 in 5 have mental health. We are all in flux which means we are all at risk.”
As Dr. Rosa points out, “The fact is that mental health and addiction disorders are very much intertwined throughout society, throughout the world. The prevalence of mental health issues was up substantially in 2019, pre-pandemic, and the situation has only gotten worse through the COVID years.” He goes on to add, “With the disruption in services due to the pandemic, those with SUD had nowhere to turn. And those experiencing mental health issues, possibly for the first time, have had little to no access to services. The repercussion of this societal unrest is going to be a tsunami of addiction and suicide rates like we have not seen to date.”
Read the entire blog at: link here
About John P. Rosa
Dr. John Rosa owns and supervises ABC Management, which is comprised of 21 integrative health clinics in Maryland and Virginia that sees over 60,000 patient visits per year. ABC Clinics combine medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture and behavioral medicine to give a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to pain syndromes and musculoskeletal disorders. Active in sports medicine with consulting/treating college, professional and Olympic athletes. Founder of Accessible Wellness Solutions – an onsite corporate wellness program offering consulting, lectures and management of onsite clinics.
- Northeast College of Health Sciences – DC 1992
- Rutgers University – BS 1989
Integrative Medicine Specialist:
- Current Board Chair to Maryland University of Integrative Health
- Trustee of Northeast College of Health Sciences for over 15 years serving final 3-year term as Chairman of the Board and given the honor or Board Emeritus post service.
- Consultant on Integrative Medicine to hospital cancer center
- Reduced opioid prescriptions up to 70% by integrating Chiropractic, physical therapy and behavioral medicine in a primary care setting
- Expert/Speaker – Educating medical community on the Integrative Medicine approach to treating pain
- Executive Medical Director – Nu-Life Solutions – maker of a neuromodulation devise to treat pain, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and withdrawals form opioid addiction
- Medical Advisor – Outreach Recovery – a group of expert clinicians and health care professionals who specialize in substance abuse and drug addiction treatment, mental health counseling, and psychiatric management. Largest addiction treatment group in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Chief Science Officer – Get A-Head – a SaaS platform company that provides a telehealth application in training and delivery of mental health care while incorporating cutting-edge AI technologies
Opioid Crisis Expert:
- White House Surrogate/Consultant
- Law Enforcement Consultant (Homeland Security, CBP, DOJ, DEA, FDA, FBI and U.S. Postal)
- State, National, and International Consultant to Opioid Task Forces
- Corporate and professional organization consultant
- Currently working on PSA music and cinema projects with the Russo Brothers (directors/producers of the Marvel Avenger films)
Current Research and Publications:
- New-Life Solutions – Research medical director for “The H.O.P.E. Initiative for Addiction”
- Italian Chiropractic Association – Member of the Scientific Research Committee
- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
- “Changes in Opioid Therapy Use by an Interprofessional Primary Care Team: A Descriptive Study of Opioid Prescription Data” by John Rosa, DC and Jeanmarie R. Burke, PhD
- Published: April 17, 2021
- Founder of “Overdose Free America” a nonprofit which uses the power of celebrity and entertainment to bring the Opioid Crisis the visibility and support it deserves
- Lectures to community, corporations, universities and medical community on the opioid and mental health crises have reached over 100,000 people.
- Production of “BACKBONE” The story of proactive healthcare vs. reactive disease care that was focused on our active and retired military. A documentary by Wellbeing Films
- Co-Producer of “It’s Happening Right Here” The story of how sex trafficking has infiltrated our country with almost no public awareness
- Volunteer at Crossroads Freedom Center – a residential facility in Maryland to help overcome addiction
- Board member – #Same Here Global Mental Health Movement – 501c3 dedicated to delivering resources and programing on better ways to treat mental health other than medication